Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Declutter Day 1: Downstairs Bedroom

I would say Day 1 of "5 Days of Decluttering" went well! I decided to go through our downstairs bedroom, and it turns out, there was more in there than I realized. We have an armoir in there that I've had since I moved into my first apartment. I love it!
Since it has lived in our downstairs bedroom, I've always wanted it to be a place where guests can put their luggage. Unfortunately, it had turned into a storage cabinet for beach towels and random items that didn't have a place anywhere else. The piece also has a bottom drawer that houses our DVD collection and that was FULL. Time to purge! I basically took everything out of the cabinet and only put back those things that made sense in the space.

Before:


After:

Overall, the project took about 20 minutes and most of that was refolding the mass of beach towels which now have their own place on the top shelf. I think it's safe to say we are all set for summer. :) When I was done, I had a nice donate pile with some mismatched towels, a blanket, a floor mat, a dishpan (?), and a bag of DVDs that I'm not sure we've ever watched. I also cleaned out under the bed, and luckily there wasn't a ton under there: a very old power strip, an old Bluetooth headset, and some exercise bands. All things that could go! There is also a wooden chair in the room that serves no real purpose, and since the non-profit will take furniture, this will find a new home as well. Its nice to think that it will be loved in a new home.

I would still like to do some some rearranging of wall hangings and accessories in this room but overall, this space is done and it feels great! I feel like we're closer than ever to creating a relaxing space for friends and family. Also, I know I'm a day behind with this decluttering project, but I plan on catching up today. Off to tackle kitchen drawers and cabinets! What is one area of your home that has been a thorn in your side? After this project, I have one less. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment