Thursday, March 27, 2014

Declutter Day 2: Kitchen Drawers

Wow, this week is flying by! I can't believe it's already Thursday. It's been a productive week too. Yesterday I went through four of our kitchen drawers. We have ten altogether, but two hold food, one just has baby bibs (but will soon have spoons and plates!), one is Hubby's "BBQ" drawer that I promised I wouldn't touch :), and two others have silverware and other utensils that were already pared down and organized. The four I tackled had enough stuff to fill all ten though! Here are before pictures:
Drawer 1

Drawer 2

Drawer 3

Drawer 4
Again, I took everything out of each drawer and gave each drawer a good cleaning with a handheld vacuum and Clorox wipes (I also wiped down the outside of each drawer. It always surprises me how dirty they get!). I then sorted and put like items together. This made it easy to see what we had multiples of and what we actually use. Then, I set out putting everything back, but in places where they made more sense. Our handheld KitchenAid mixer that we use maybe twice a year didn't need to be in a drawer; it moved to a cabinet down below. Same thing with rarely-used utensils: they didn't need to be in the drawer next to the stove, which is "prime drawer real estate". They were moved to drawers across the kitchen. And for the donate box, I put a good amount of utensils and some random kitchen knives. Now for my favorite part, the after pictures:

Drawer 1

Drawer 2

Drawer 3

Drawer 4

I've been wanting to go through these drawers for a while now and I'm so glad I did. It's so nice to be able to find exactly what I'm looking for. At some point I'd like to get some Command hooks to hang the measuring cups and spoons on inside one of the upper cabinets, just to minimize what is in the drawers a little bit more. But overall, I'm very happy with how they turned out. Are there any trouble spots in your kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment